Finance services offered to savers leave them the responsibility to operate in accordance with moral principles, avoiding speculative activities even if within the limits of the law.
Trading is not investment but it is speculation;
it is important to be aware of this distinction
"Speculation indicates transactions that are made for the sole purpose of getting a profit from changes in prices”. In the case of operations on stock, purchasing and selling of assets are made with the purpose to gain money on changes in prices as soon as possible without any interest to maintain the stock in view of future dividends. (http://www.jstor.org/stable/2376347?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents)
Negative behavior and the risk on the real economy
This practice is opposite to investment and represents a negative behavior for an individual in a religious context; it causes attachment to money and "the hope of becoming rich quickly and without the drudgery of labour distracts a man from pursuing the path of honest work".(*)
"it is morally impossible for a man who spends all or the greater part of his time speculating, to avoid all the dishonest practices of speculation".(**)
Speculation is also of potential significant damage to the real economy.
(*°) International Journal of Ethics , John A. Ryan., Catholic University of America.
The correct behavior for the individual
To maintain an adequate personal profile:
- have in mind a medium-long term horizon (generally over 1 year)
- invest in ethical activities, (i.e. companies operating in socially useful business);
- Avoid the study and the purchase of any financial instrument designed for the pursuit of short and very short-term profit;
- avoid the pursuit of profit through short-term activities;
- avoid the attachment to the idea of making money;
- avoid any offers (even though legally admitted) intented to do speculation.
- don't pay attention to daily prices indexes of the financial market because they are the basis for short term speculation and not investment.
- remember that each individual speculative transaction in the financial market partipates to the speculative structure that is of potential significant damage to the real economy.
The way to invest should be focused on the above aspects which are of primary importance for a correct behavior from a moral-religious point of view regardless of any type of personal utilitarian approach to finance through trading that indeed causes attachment to money and easily may promotes other morally reprehensible behaviors.
SPECULATION IS TO BE ABANDONED IN FAVOUR OF
INVESTMENT (no trading activities)
(MEDIUM LONG TERM HORIZON)